Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Small Towns, Guns and The Mad Momma

The Mad Momma on growing up in a small town in UP (and about other things):

The last incident before I left for college  ensured that my boyfriend didn’t go alone anywhere for the month before the exams. Four of them (including my brother) were surrounded at our favourite coffee shop, by 40 guys pulling up in Maruti vans with chains and hockey sticks and guns. There was negotiation and politics and finally an uneasy truce was reached. One we couldn’t trust. He didn’t appreciate it but my brother was his best friend and picked him up each morning and dropped him home each night – brooking no further argument. It was the best protection he could have had. If you want to woo a girl, you can beat up her boyfriend but not her brother. Those are the rules. The honour among thieves so to speak.

4 comments:

JKD said...

Wow...Dala...!! this is a film in itself...!! :-))))

km said...

Ugh. I grew up in that geography too. It's a....strange place.

(I also happen to be reading an old book by Vijay Nambisan called "Bihar is in the eye of the beholder". So yeah, it's all resonant.)

the mad momma said...

:) did I never ever mention this to you ? I thought I did...

Diwakar Sinha said...

very relatable...for a guy born and broughtup in the capital of the state of bihar.