Sunday, May 29, 2011

Gil Scott-Heron, RIP

Gil Scott-Heron. RIP.

Where Did The Night Go

Long ago the clock washed midnight away


Bringing the dawn

Oh God, I must be dreaming

Time to get up again

And time to start up again

Pulling on my socks again

Should have been asleep

When I was sitting there drinking beer

And trying to start another letter to you

Don't know how many times I dreamed to write again last night

Should've been asleep when I turned the stack of records over and over

So I wouldn't be up by myself

Where did the night go?

Should go to sleep now

And say fuck a job and money

Because I spend it all on unlined paper and can't get past

"Dear baby, how are you?"

Brush my teeth and shave

Look outside, sky is dark

Think it may rain

Where did

Where did

Where did


From I'm New Here. XL Recordings. Feb. 2010.

Also, the Guardian obit.

2 comments:

km said...

It was weird. I was listening to GSH a couple of days ago and then read his obit.

What a voice.

(Obligatory: the obituary will not be televised?)

dipali said...

RIP.
What a poem that was.