Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Sawsan al-Areeque 'More Than Necessary'

One of my friends at the IWP was a writer and filmmaker from Yemen. It was the first time ever that the IWP was hosting a writer from that country. Now, things are a mess in Yemen and I have spent the last week worrying about Sawsan. 

This is one of her poems. I am remembering her reading this poem aloud in Arabic; a little gesture emphasising a word or a line. I hope she is okay.
 
 
 More Than Necessary

translated by Sawsan al-Areeque & Willa C. Richards
 
When I allow myself
to be myself
I am surprised
that the rose on the balcony
smiles
more than necessary
and nighttime in the city’s face
lingers
more than necessary
and the moon on my dining table
is too near.
 
Then I decide to allow myself
to be half myself
until I do not feel these things
more than is necessary.

No comments: