Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Sarah Manguso: Asking for More

'Asking for More'
by Sarah Manguso

I am not asking to suffer less.
I hope to be nearly crucified.
To live because I don't want to.
That hope, that sweet agent —
My best work is its work.
The horse I ride into Hell is my best horse
And bears its name.
So, friends, drink your cocktails and wear your hats.
Thank you for leaving me this whole world to go mad in.
I am not asking for mercy. I am asking for more.
I don't mind when no mercy comes
Or when it comes in the form of my mad self
Running at me. I am not asking for mercy.

I read Sarah Manguso first in Poetry - this poem, in fact - and wanted to read more. As ever, poems are to be found not as collections but chanced upon, chased or dug up.

If anyone (I'm looking at you, Cat) find Siste Viator, please get it for me.


2 comments:

Cheshire Cat said...

Hmmm, now I want Siste Viator for myself :)

Space Bar said...

Cat: Then you'll just have to get two copies, won't you? (You are useless).