Monday, July 03, 2017

Nine: Man at Work

A couple of weeks ago, when my mother was looking through an ancient box of unsorted photographs, she put aside some she especially wanted me to see. Of these, I picked a few to scan. Rather rashly, I put them ALL up on twitter and then swiftly changed my mind and deleted them all.

This one, though, I want to put up. It's my dad at his desk at Geoffrey Manners. This was probably shortly before he got married; we're uncertain of timelines, and because there's no one left who can answer the questions we now have, we just have to speculate. I am not certain this is 1968, but my mother thinks it probably is.


If I cared enough about history, personal or general, this would matter. I care more for memory, though, and for that purpose, this works just fine as it is. There are clues, tantalising enough, in the posters at the back, his clothes, hair.

What I really want to know is, who took this photograph and why was my dad pretending the photographer was absent? Also, why was this photograph put away in a small envelope along with other photos we've never seen, among my dad's things?

Once again, there'll never be answers to these questions.

2 comments:

km said...

That's just a beautiful pic.

And those posters on the wall - how *does* that trivia stay glued to our memory cells? I have not seen that Anacin image for probably 30 years, and yet I knew what it was.

(The "business executive signing documents" photograph is usually needed for corporate brochures and annual reports, so might that have been the occasion?)

Space Bar said...

km: You know, the corporate brochure thing didn't even occur to me! You could be right.