Tuesday, July 31, 2007

RIP Bergman

It's really difficult to explain the effect Ingmar Bergman's films had on me when I was 21 and getting ready to go to film school. Screen Unit, a newly formed film club ion Bombay, started off with a bang with a two-week-long festival of Bergman films. He was the first director whose work I saw as an oeuvre and what an impression his work made! One film followed another each one more stark and profound than the last but richer than anything I'd seen before.

2 comments:

km said...

It's really difficult to explain the effect Ingmar Bergman's films had on me

Or, as in my case, really very easy: I stopped playing chess.

Space Bar said...

KM: 'Death be not proud' you should have said, as you continued playing. But what to do...this is one game where the outcome is always known. I've always hated chess.