Monday, March 31, 2014

Straight lines & perfect circles

There was a film called Perfect Circle I saw a long time ago. I remember very little of it except for the bit where these two people - one of them I'm fairly sure, a kid - are trying to draw perfect circles and find it a thing not so simple.

I remembered this because my son wants to take Art at school next year and is not great at drawing, though he's amazing at craft and generally a genius with his hands. He used to be a champion artist when he was a kid, but you know how we're all Matisses until we're five.

So he's been trying to work at getting better but given that he started with this new resolution an hour ago, I think he should give himself a little more time before he decides to opt out of Art altogether in favour of Economics.

He began with wanting to draw an SLR; gave it up for a bottle of Parachute coconut oil and gave that up when he couldn't get the indent in the bottle to look like one; chose a lava lamp and baulked at the glass and the odd, frozen shapes inside.

Finally, I told him, 'Forget all these strange materials and stick with 2D for the moment, yes?' So we picked a Madhubani design he could copy. So all those freehand straight lines he has to draw as borders? BIG challenge. 'Economics,' he muttered under his breath.

Someone please tell my son drawing straight lines freehand is not as simple as he wants it to be.

4 comments:

Banno said...

Please, please tell him to give Art some more time. I am sure he'll get it. 10 minutes is not time enough to decide. Economics, really?

km said...

Please, please, please get a copy of "Drawing on the right side of the brain" by Betty Edwards. (If you can't find it, let me know.) Working with that book can change your son's perspective (literally) about drawing.

(Never mind the verity of the right-brain/left-brain theory. That's highly questionable in 2014. But the book offers plenty of value otherwise.)

Space Bar said...

Banno: I don't think he was being serious - at least, I hope he wasn't! I really need to get him to talk to Teja and other artist friends.

km: Will look out for. I know I won't find it in bookstores but will check on Flipkart etc. I think he just felt overwhelmed, but baby steps, no?

VM said...

Economics is by far the best subject he could study at the moment, but also ever. This art stuff, eh.