Thursday, October 25, 2007

Creature Discomforts

On Asthachal hill, my son is off exploring while I take statutory photographs of beautiful sunsets. I do a double take as he turns tails and runs back.




Turns out there are more than 200 monkeys in RV now. According to some Class 8 boys, they push open mesh doors, come into their rooms, steal clothes and contraband food.

My son is hearing his first horror story.


Many days later, on our first night in Bangalore, I hear him mutter to himself in bed.


'In Rishi Valley there were monkeys. In Hosur there were rats. Here there are many dogs.'


He forgot the mosquitoes but what does he know about what's really dangerous.


I'm aware, of course, that I either get my 'look' wrong while juxtaposing these two photos together or getting the order wrong; ideally, the monkey should come first - on the left - and the boy running second. If I'd done that, it would look as if the boy was running towards the money, which is all wrong.


But I wasn't thinking of blogging this while I was taking the photos, so what to do. If I was doing my editor thing, I'd grumble about camerapersons who make mistakes while shooting and expect the editor to make it all right on the table.


Of course, I could have flipped the running image. But I'm lazy like that. That's why I stopped editing.

5 comments:

SUR NOTES said...

you got me grinning at every line first thing in the morning!
i am a happy girl today... and s muttering will keep me going for a couple of days.

km said...

Asthachal Hill! I've heard many stories from buddies of mine who studied in your school about the sunsets...

(btw, have you seen videos on YouTube of JK talking to RV kids...probably from the early '80s)

Space Bar said...

sur: glad to oblige!

km: no, really? i've seen saanen and ojai talks but not rv. please give link?

Space Bar said...

km: found them! here they are:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

This talk was the day after mine with K...most of the guys here are my classmates or a year junior. Wow...amazing to see and hear this after so long!

Unknown said...

ujiu.. creature discomforts.... when i saw the headline thought about something different... did anybody hear about creature discomforts, animation by the maker of wallace an gromit???
they are great.. check it out...http://youtube.com/watch?v=J76cRnRyZFs