Friday, February 13, 2015

Doha Diary: Layover

We had over eight hours in Doha and Qatar Airways were obliged to give us a room. It took an hour for the paper work and travel to, but we had plenty of rest and a shower and tea and felt somewhat human by the time we returned to the airport.

In the interval, we saw glimpses of Doha from the bus and from our respective room windows. I got construction.

Doha: View from my room


















Kavery got a mosque and kids playing football. That's the luck of the draw. 

Doha: View from Kavery's room



(That aged look to the photos is merely badly washed window panes.)

On our way to the hotel, we found our driver speaking with a strong Malayali accent and - because that's how these things happen - I was speaking to someone in Tamil for the first time in ten days*. 

Oh, and the guy at Reception was Pakistani and I got to hear someone say, one more time, 'Koi maslaa nahin." The gap between experience and nostalgia gets shorter and shorter.

Before all that, however, there were timely reminders that it was time to return.


Lahore: Paradise takeaway
 If there is a Paradise...

__

*Excluding conversations with my mother, of course.

1 comment:

Ludwig said...

My my. Sleeping with the enemy and all.

Who is this Kavery person? Does she have a last name which starts and ends with the same letter as the third one in my last name?

To put it cryptically...