Saturday, May 19, 2007

Sneaking Sicko Out

Talking about Michael Moore, his latest film, Sicko is being premiered at Cannes today. From his website, here's his account of events leading up to Cannes:

I was floored when our lawyers told me this. "Are you saying they might actually confiscate our movie?" "Yes," was the answer. "These days, anything is possible. Even if there is just a 20 percent chance the government would seize our movie before Cannes, does anyone want to take that risk?"

Certainly not. So there we were last week, spiriting a duplicate master negative out of the country just so no one from the government would take it from us. (Seriously, I can't believe I just typed those words! Did I mention that I'm an American, and this is America and NO ONE should ever have to say they had to do such a thing?)

Harvey Weinstein has taken on the mantle of protector.

Intimidation, investigation...does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

No comments: