Saturday, December 22, 2007

'The Lion, The Unicorn and Me'

It takes just one year for a tradition to begin. The minute the sun comes around, patterns reassert themselves.

So, in keeping with a tradition that I declare has just begun, and which I will no doubt regret inventing in the years to come, Christmas story!

This time, by Jeanette Winterson. This is from her story, 'The Lion, the Unicorn and Me' published today in The Times:

The angel wrote it down.

Then it was my turn.

“He'll make as ass of himself,” whispered the Lion.

I did. I am. A proper ass. Present position: underdonkey. Previous history: Small underdonkey. Special Strength: Can carry anything anywhere. Weaknesses: not beautiful, not well-bred, not important, not clever, not noticed, not won any prizes...

The Angel wrote it down, and down, and down.

Then the Angel gave us a tie-breaker. Could we say, in one sentence, why we were right for the job?

I love donkeys.

(This is where I should be doing that meme about so many things you didn't know about me. Donkeys are my favourite animals. So now you know.)

Go read.

Last year's story here.

5 comments:

dipali said...

I loved the donkey! One of my favourite Christmas hymns was "Little Donkey".

Little donkey, little donkey on the dusty road
Got to keep on plodding onwards with your precious load
Been a long time, little donkey, through the winters night
Dont give up now, little donkey,
Bethlehem's in sight

Ring out those bells tonight
Bethlehem, Bethlehem
Follow that star tonight
Bethlehem, Bethlehem

Little donkey, little donkey, had a heavy day
Little donkey, carry Mary safely on her way
Little donkey, little donkey, journey's end is near
There are wise men waiting for a sign to bring them here

Do not falter little donkey, there's a star ahead
It will guide you, little donkey, to a cattle shed

Ring out those bells tonight
Bethlehem, Bethlehem
Follow that star tonight
Bethlehem, Bethlehem

Little donkey, little donkey, had a heavy day
Little donkey, carry Mary, safely on her way
Little donkey, carry Mary, safely on her way

Space Bar said...

Dipali: I never knew this one. Wonder what it sounds like!

dipali said...

SB, mail me your number and I'll sing it to you. Actually I'm sure you can google it and hear a u tube version

Space Bar said...

Dipali: I shall certainly try. But if we''re talking carols, my favourite one is here.

Enjoy. I think.

dipali said...

It's beautiful- and so tragic.
Thank you- I'd never heard this before.