Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Biryani alert!

My friend Dipta has done what I thought was impossible: he's made me long to turn meat-eating again! I read his entire post with my mouth watering and with a firm resolve to visit Paradise soon, if only to eat their veg biryani and make the owners join the list of Forbes Richest People.

Not even the gruesome note on which he ends his post made me feel slightly queasy:

No roundup of Calcutta biriyanis is complete without a mention of the annual Eid feast at the Saturday Club, organised by the Club's Muslim waiters. They get in bawarchis from Lucknow and the goats are walked down as well. Gentle souls would cringe but apparently the long walk improves the meat quality of their thighs. It is meant for a private gathering - only the Club members and their guests can attend - but let me very confidently state that this is the only perfect biriyani I have tasted.

Ew! Go read!

8 comments:

Banno said...

God, I hate this guy. None of the really good biryani places are near my house, and now I'm just dying to have a good mutton biryani. As for the veg biryani, as I tell V, that's an illogical impossibility. Just a sop.

Space Bar said...

Dipta, please come and collect your hate mail here!

banno, i'm one of those veggies who eat pointless veg biryani. but i get my hyderabadi friends to make it for me. just had somethign the other day called qubooni. quite good it was too.

Cheshire Cat said...

Ewww (you mis-spelt it)... My delicate sensibilities are offended by all this slavering over meat.

Space Bar said...

Cheshire Cat: Ah, but then your disgust exceeds mine; clearly it needs a couple of extra 'w's called to aid in the expression of it.

Cheshire Cat said...

I was shocked actually - your disgust seemed perfunctory at best. Total lack of conviction. Think of all those goats! Imagine them bleating! Bleating, bleeding, bleating, bleeding...

Cheshire Cat said...

I'm being so immature. I'd be happy if you could delete my last comment!

Space Bar said...

Cat: you serious?! stand by your words, man!

(actually, I have to figure out how to delete it...later, pliss? terribly rushed)

Cheshire Cat said...

Great, now I sound both immature and weak...