Friday, November 28, 2008

Meanwhile on the other coast...

Cyclone Nisha over Tamil Nadu has taken 70 lives so far. I know some of my family has had their house flooded - they live on the ground floor in a housing colony in Velachery. Everyone in the colony has been evacuated. There's been no electricity all day; regular phone lines are down. It's only a matter of time, I suppose, before peoples' cell phone batteries die on them, and food and water become serious issues. News on Jaya TV doesn't look good.

Hope all you people in Chennai are okay.

3 comments:

Rahul Siddharthan said...

All well here luckily. In fact I made it to 100m of my office before realising the approach road there was completely flooded and impassable. Velachery used to be a lake and this is what comes of "reclaiming" lakes (the same thing happens in Bangalore routinely).

Krishnan said...

Yes things are fast returning to normal today. Thankfully rain has abated and I guess fury of Nisha has at last cooled down. What a week ! schools closed for three days straight and normal life paralyzed in almost all parts of Tamil Nadu. I reside in Velachery and thank God, we did not face any big problems.

Space Bar said...

rahul: ya, i know. and really, some of those roads are impossible even when it's not raining.

krishnan: really? that's good to know. i guess even within velachery things vary a lot.